Posted by iThinksew on 05/09/2020 6:49 AM
The 3 Layer Mask is a reusable mask with filter pockets available for you to simply make at home. The single pattern allows you to cut the pattern in one unlike our previous release where it was cut into two. It requires less work for those who are making reusable masks in bulk since there is one less step to cutting the pieces out. Protect yourself, your family and loved ones with masks. Stay safe!
SMALL: 7 1/2” WIDTH X 4 1/2” height (Approx.)
LARGE: 8” WIDTH X 5” height (Approx.)
44” wide mask fabric
(1/4) Yard for outer fabric
(1/4) Yard for inner fabric
(1/4) Yard for filter pocket
(1/4) Yard for filter
(2) 11″-13”, 4mm wide elastic band
(1) 3 1/2”-4” (10cm), 1-4mm wide wire
(2) Ear loop adjusters
(1) Insert elastic needle threader
Ruler, Scissors, Chalk pencil, Pencil, Sewing machine, Pins, Needle, Shape tool, fabric clips
Cut out the Fabric
Draw the patterns directly onto the wrong side of a single layer of fabric. Cut out the exterior, lining, and interfacing. Fuse the interfacing on the wrong side of the lining, following the manufacturer’s guide.
(1) Outer Piece
(1) Inner Piece
(1) Filter Pocket Piece
(2) 11”-13” Length Elastic Band
(1) 3 1/2” – 4” Length wire
1) Double fold 3/8” (total 3/4”) the side seams of the pocket piece towards the wrong side of the fabric. Pin and sew along the folded edge, 1/8” away from the seam.
2) Fold the outer piece following the center line with right sides together. Pin and stitch the darts, backstitching on all ends. Repeat this process for the outer piece and pocket piece.
3) Clip the corner dart seam of the mask.
4) Open and press the center dart seams of the outer piece. Topstitch both side seams at the upper dart as close as end of the dart seams.
4-1) Repeat this process for the inner piece and pocket piece.
5) Facing up the right side of the inner piece and pocket. Place the filter pocket to the inner piece matching center. Pin and baste inner piece and pocket together.
6) Place the inner piece and outer piece with the right sides facing each other, matching the center. Pin and stitch all around the mask pieces together, leaving one short side open.
7) Clip the corner seams.
7-1) Clip the round seams.
8) Turn the mask right side out through the opening then press. Fold the opening seam towards wrong side of the fabric. Then press.
9) Stitch the wire casing, leaving one side open.
10) Insert the wire into the opening of the wire casing. Close the opening.
11) Fold the both sides of the mask 1/2” toward inner side to make the elastic casing. Stitch the elastic casing 1/8” away from the edge. Repeat the same process to the other side of elastic casing.
12) Thread the elastic through the hole of the ear loop adjuster using a needle threader.
13) Thread the elastic through the elastic casing using a needle threader.
14) Tie the elastic.
15) Push the knot of the elastic into the elastic tube. Adjust the elastic using ear loop adjuster. Attach the elastic for the other side in the same manner.
15-1) Attach the elastic for the other side in the same manner.
16) Insert the filter through the pocket opening. Or insert another layer of material through the pocket opening for extra protection.